The Westfield Emergency Management Agency is structured in a manner to better train, and prepare for Emergency Response. Each area has volunteers responsible for duties assigned to him or her. The Agency is divided into the following sections:
- Director/ Deputy Director - Responsible for overall activity within the Agency.
- Operations - Responsible for Agency operations.
- Communications - Responsible for the communications of the Agency.
- Logistics - Responsible for movement of staff, setup, and meals if field setup or a sustained operation is required.
- Security - Responsible for security of the Agency and the staff.
- Plans - Responsible for Emergency Response Plans.
- Training - Responsible for training of staff and establishing scenarios for preparing the team.
- Medical Liaison - Liaison to Red Cross, hospitals and Department of Public Health.
- Finance and Administration - Provides office management for the Agency.
Director Wiggs is a retired military officer with 5 years of Homeland Security expertise after September 11, 2001. He has over 30 years of experience in Information Technology both in Government and Corporate America. Experienced with Business Continuity Planning, Disaster Recovery, Network Operations, Information Protection and Computer Security. Fully qualified in the Incident Command Structure (ICS) of the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
The Westfield Emergency Management Agency is fortunate to have an excellent staff of volunteers. These volunteers fill a variety of roles within the agency.
- Deputy Director/Operations Officer – Len Nasiatka
- Communications Officer – Peter Cowles
- Logistics Officer – Robert Sorel
- Plans and Training Officer – Chris Tapases
- Radio Operators – Kevin Berrien
- Administrative Staff – Anne Guerin, Mary Beth Berrien
Interested in volunteering?
The Westfield Emergency Management Agency has a number of volunteers which are necessary to make the agency successful. The agency has a variety of roles which can be filled and if you are interested in volunteering, please contact the Director via phone or email. Volunteers meet at least twice monthly and are actively involved in different aspects of the Agency. Staff volunteers should be a minimum of 18 years old while volunteer officers should be a minimum of 21 years old. The Agency provides training to all volunteers.
The Agency has partnered with both the Civil Air Patrol and the Police Explorers to broaden the ability to support an Emergency situation. With these young volunteers and the additional capability, the agency has more security for controlling access and personnel which can be called out through MEMA for search and rescue. If you are interested in more information concerning these organizations, please contact the Director and he can assist.