You must have a permit and call (413) 562-2329 for permission between 9:00 a.m. and noon on the day you plan to burn to see if weather conditions allow burning for that day. Permits may be obtained at Fire Headquarters on 34 Broad Street.
RULES FOR OPEN BURNING - JANUARY 2013 - AS PER DEPARTMENT OF ENVINRONMENTAL PROTECTION (DEP) REGULATIONS (DEP Tel. # 784-1100)
• Effective January 2000, you must obtain a copy of the rules that must be followed and a written numbered permit from the Fire Department Headquarters at 34 Broad Street. This permit can be obtained on the day you wish to burn brush only or anytime prior to the day you plan to burn. A permit can be obtained Monday – Friday, from 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM or on weekends between 8:30 AM and 12:Noon. Once you have a permit number you must call the Fire Department between 9:0 0AM and 12 Noon on the day you plan to burn brush only to request permission to burn on that day. Permission will be granted provided you have a valid permit number and the weather conditions are suitable.
• Open burning begins January 15 and will continue through May 1st or until discontinued by the state. No open burning is allowed from May 1st through Jan. 14th.
• The Fire Department will not allow open burning on days that the weather is not suitable - too windy, too dry etc.
• The fire must be completely extinguished by 4:00 PM.
• The fire must be at least 75 feet from all buildings.
• No flammable liquids will be used to start or increase the fire.
• Only small piles of brush can be burned - No Leaves - No Rubbish - Not more then 4 feet by 4 feet by 3 feet in height is recommended.
• The fire should be supervised at all times, until completely extinguished, a hose or pail of water should be kept nearby to control the fire.
• If the fire gets out of control call the Fire Department immediately!
• Commercial burning is prohibited, ABSOLUTELY NO BURNING OF BUILDING MATERIALS OR COMMERCIAL LAND CLEARING ALLOWED.
• The fire or smoke must not cause any nuisance to neighbors.
• The Fire Department may revoke any permit for just cause.